New Year’s Resolutions for 2018
Today is the last day of 2017, traditionally known as New Year’s Eve. An evening to reflect over the last year with memories of good or bad. We look forward to the new challenges of the coming year. For some it is the opportunity of a fresh start. To make slight or major changes to their lifestyle. Out with the old and in with the new. Many make resolutions knowing that the calendar has turned over its main page. The annual occurrence with the numerical advantage that some need to finally break that habit or make that change.
For the developing Christian I have come across a snippet from the wonderful A. W. Tozer, that I am going to just add a couple of biblical scriptures to reference to.
“Some people object to taking vows. In the Bible you will find many great men of God directed by covenants, promises, vows and pledges. A carnal man refuses the discipline of such commitments. He says, “I want to be free. It is legalism.” There are many religious tramps in the world who will not be bound by anything.
Now there are five vows I have in mind which we will do well to make and keep.
- DEAL THOROUGHLY WITH SIN. Psalm 51:2,3 says “Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me.” And in 1 John 1:9 we read “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” See also Jeremiah 7:5, 1 Corinthians 5:1-13.
- NEVER OWN ANYTHING. 1 John 2:15 says, “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” In Deuteronomy 10:14 we read “Indeed heaven and the highest heavens belong to the Lord your God, also the earth with all that is in it.” We are the stewards, there is a real blessedness in owning nothing.
- NEVER DEFEND YOURSELF. In Romans 12:19 we read, “Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath: for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay.” Says the Lord.” And in Matthew 5:38-39 Jesus says, “You have that it was said, ‘an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth,’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.”
- NEVER PASS ANYTHING ON ABOUT ANYBODY ELSE THAT WILL HURT HIM. In Proverbs 20:19 we read, “He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets; therefore do not associate with one who flatters with his lips.” James 3 is also a good chapter on bridling the tongue.
- NEVER ACCEPT ANY GLORY. In 1 Corinthians 1:29-31 we read, “That no flesh should glory in his presence. But to Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God – and righteousness and sanctification and redemption – that, as it is written, ”He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.” And in Galatians 6:14 we read, “But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.”
Remember that these five vows are not something that you write in the back of your Bible and forget. They have got to be written in your own blood.
Maybe next year in Jerusalem ?
May the Lord our God continue to bless you, in Jesus Mighty, Precious name, Amen.